United Learning is a large, and growing, group of schools aiming to offer a life changing education to children and young people across England. As a Group, we can reward our staff better: with good career opportunities, better pay, benefits, and ultimately, the satisfaction of helping children to succeed. We invest in our staff well-being with an ongoing group-wide well-being programme. It's an ethos we call ‘the best in everyone’.
We are now looking for an eager candidate to join us as an apprentice.
As the IT Technician Apprentice, you will gain experience of supporting an IT team in delivering, maintaining, and supporting technology.
Opportunities to gain wider technical knowledge and experience across the cluster are expected and will be beneficial to all.
You will be responsible for:
- Providing high quality, first and second line technical support for the IT service desk; recording all calls and activities within the service desk tool, within the SLA guidelines
- Escalating calls or technical issues internally or to third parties as appropriate
- Setting up user accounts, implementing password changes, and resolving work area problems (this includes detecting illegal access, lost passwords, bans)
- Keeping records of all users including the management of laptop loans
- Hardware – routine checking, fault finding and rectifying, general maintenance
- Stock control of consumables and hardware ordering, distribution and paperwork
- Daily checking and backing up of servers
- Assisting and training students and staff in the use of the Network when applicable
What we are looking for:
- Ability to communicate clearly and sensitively in writing and orally to a variety of audiences
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills
- Good organisational skills with the ability to manage own time effectively
- Ability to self-evaluate learning needs and actively seek learning opportunities
- Ability to relate well to children and adults
- Practical experience of installing, maintaining and upgrading PC computers, printers and other peripherals
- Working knowledge of Internet services, including cloud, web and E-Mail and MS Office (Word, Excel and Powerpoint)
- Previous experience of the Microsoft Windows Operating System would be beneficial
- Team player
- Flexible approach to work and working hours
Willingness and ability to travel around the London cluster to support other sites as required. If you drive this will be beneficial but you will not be required to drive. [You will travel to other sites with the more Senior Technician's and colleagues]
- 3 GCSE's (or equivalent) at grades 4+ (A-C) in any subject
- GCSE Maths and English (or equivalents) at grades 3+ (D or above)
- Prospective apprentices must not hold an existing qualification at the same or higher level as this apprenticeship in a similar subject
You may also have a combination of qualifications and experience which demonstrate the minimum foundation needed for the programme. In this instance you could still be considered for the programme.
If you hold international equivalents of the above qualifications, at the time of your application you must be able to provide an official document that states how your international qualifications compare to the UK qualifications.
For more information, please visit the UK ENIC website.
- Free onsite parking
- Free access to onsite gym
- Onsite canteen
- Staff activities such as football and volleyball that you can get involved with
- Access to perkbox
- 25 days holiday allowance, plus bank holidays
You will be based at one of 3 schools in the South East London Cluster; Bacon’s College in Rotherhithe, The John Roan School in Greenwich or Sedgehill Academy near Catford.
You will be required at times to work at the other sites within the South East London Cluster other than your home site.
The Apprentice IT Technician post reports to the Senior IT Technician at each school. Although a driving license is beneficial, it is not essential as the apprentices will travel with other colleagues. They are also all easily accessible with local transport links and the Tube.
Your salary is based on National Minimum Wage for your Age and higher than the standard apprentice wage. Wages may be higher or lower than the range advertised.
Speak to the recruiter at QA for confirmation.
For example, yearly salaries could range between:
Many apprentices have been supported to achieve Distinctions and Merits and been retained as full-time members of staff after their apprenticeship. Salary rises and promotions will come with securing full-time employment.
United Learning Trust has extensive experience of training IT apprentices into fully fledged and qualified IT Technicians.
The Trust may also potentially fund and support you to work towards higher qualifications such as the Network Engineer Level 4 or a Bachelors Degree.