- GMFJ Reference
37.50 per week
- Date Posted
- Start Date
Now Taking Applications
Business & Administration
- Employment Type
Higher Level 4
Description of Opportunity
Dstl (Defence Science and Technology Laboratory) works to maximise the impact of science and technology for the defence, security and prosperity of the United Kingdom. In order to do this, we need people who can use their skills to innovate and develop technologies which give our country the winning-edge. We work in niche areas which are sensitive, operationally critical and international in nature.
As an Apprentice in Dstl’s Commercial function you will work alongside our procurement professionals and have a unique opportunity to work at the forefront of defence research procuring a variety of requirements from simple consumables and materials for our state of the art laboratories to complex research requirements that will lead to the next generation of military equipment. You will use a range of procurement routes from low value contracting to OJEU procedures and utilising pan-government frameworks.
As part of a team of up to six staff, you will typically be working with an experienced Commercial Officer supporting them undertaking procurements that range from a few thousand pounds to tens of millions. To do this you will be working to understand procurement requirements originating from other Dstl staff and internal projects.
You will be helping to make decisions on procurement strategies and supporting value for money tendering including negotiation with suppliers and supplier selection. You will also be supporting the placement of contracts and ensuring effective supplier performance through whole life management of contracts while also providing accurate and timely commercial data.
You will also be successfully participating in formal off the job commercial training and development. As you develop additional skills and your competence grows you will undertake you own procurements that will grow in complexity to match your competencies.
- Effectively engage and build relationships with the teams you are supporting, both inside and outside the Commercial Function.
- Study for Commercial Institute of Procurement and Supply (CIPS) accreditation.
- Attend MOD Commercial Professionalism Programme (CPP) courses.
- Assist in the Contract Management of our largest contracts to gain experience of Contract Management.
- Assist in delivering procurements to gain experience of sourcing.
- Ensure procurement data related to your work is accurately captured so that Dstl has reliable Management Information (MI) that will provide appropriate information to assist decision making and facilitate progress reports.
- Will be enrolled onto a lever 4 apprenticeship programme. Classroom based learning will take place with our external training provider over a period of up to 2 years.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Developing Self and Others
- Working Together
- Communicating and Influencing
- Delivering at Pace
- Managing a Quality Service
For more information about this vacancy please contact GetMyFirstJob Recruitment on 02393876405 (Ref ID: 126735)
- Understanding of how businesses operate and what success looks like.
- Acumen to become commercially aware.
- Ability to be an effective communicator and therefore influencer.
- Able to take responsibility for own work.
- Ability to manage and deliver more than one task at a time.
- Awareness of how businesses operate and how businesses source materials or services.
- Five GCSEs (or equivalent) grade 4 (C) or higher which must include English & Maths. You must also have 2 A-levels or equivalents