- GMFJ Reference
37.50 per week
- Date Posted
- Start Date
Now Taking Applications
- Employment Type
Description of Opportunity
Join us as an apprentice, earn and gain a degree whilst working alongside some of the worlds experts.
We are looking for someone who:
- Has a personal interest, aptitude and enthusiasm for engineering, science, problem solving, or similar practical activities
- Is inquisitive and has the desire to design and improve on what is currently possible.
- Has a proven track record of effective team working
- Has the ability to prioritise effectively
- Has the ability to work and communicate with a range of stakeholders
- Is comfortable working outside in all weathers (we will provide appropriate personal protective equipment)
- Has the ability to produce, update and maintain records and documentation.
- Has the ability to coordinate and task others
- Has demonstrable examples of problem solving
- Can anticipate problems with equipment, identify solutions and solve straightforward problems
- Has examples of working independently
During your apprenticeship, you will be involved with work supporting our colleagues such as the Home Office, MoD, National Crime Agency, Army, Navy and other government departments, as part of a supportive team with the opportunity to develop and learn about the exciting work of Dstl. You will be encouraged and supported through the programme to take ownership of your development through Independent Learning to realise your full potential.
This Apprenticeship will consist of a mixture of academic learning through block or day release at University and practical work within various groups with DSTL.
Ideally you will have an interest in technical hobbies such as computer programming using Arduino and Raspberry Pi, amateur radio, radio control modelling or robotics and skills including soldering, antenna design or building computers or drones.
Some of the skills you could develop within this role include:
- Analogue and digital electronics practical experience and theoretical knowledge
- RF circuit design and implementation
- Hardware, Software and Firmware design and implementation
- Digital signal processor and Field Programmable Gate Array design and implementation
- Software Programming and Embedded Software analysis
- Ability to use standard electronic test equipment
- Mathematical modelling and data processing.
In addition to your technical skills, you will be able to think systematically, logically, and creatively; you will have a natural desire to understand how things work and why they perform as they do; you will be able to communicate effectively; and you will be driven by a passion for engineering and technology coupled with the desire to ensure that the United Kingdom armed forces have the best information and equipment possible.
For more information about this vacancy please contact GetMyFirstJob Recruitment on 02393876405 (Ref ID: 126765)
- Communicating and Influencing
- Working Together
- Delivering at Pace
- Changing and Improving
- You will need to hold five 4/5 or above Grade GCSEs or equivalent, including English & Maths,
- A-Level standard, or equivalent, in Mathematics and at least one further STEM based subject, such as Physics, ICT, Computing or Electronics.
- This could include experience or qualifications gained in military or other careers.