- GMFJ Reference
37.50 per week
- Date Posted
- Start Date
Now Taking Applications
- Opportunity Type
As one of the world’s leading engineering, professional services and technical consultancy firms, at WSP, we’re passionate about the big questions. And big answers, naturally. For us that’s all about reaching beyond the expected to do work that’ll make a profound impact felt long into the future.
We engineer projects that will help societies grow for lifetimes to come. We’ve been involved in many high-profile UK projects including; The Shard, Crossrail, Queen Elizabeth University Hospital, Manchester Metrolink, M1 Smart Motorway, the re-development of London Bridge Station, and the London Olympic & Paralympic Route Network.
We can offer you the opportunity to work on some of the world’s most exciting engineering and design projects. We invest in your learning and development and we value the ideas and innovation you could bring to our work. So, if you’re ready, we can’t wait to get you involved.
Firstly though, we thought you’d like to know how our Apprenticeship Development Programme works. An apprenticeship enables you to earn a salary whilst you are studying for nationally recognised qualifications. You’ll get to work alongside and learn from our experts who have a wide range of knowledge and experiences to share with you, with a programme designed to provide you with the knowledge and skills for a successful career with us. We understand that all apprentices are different. Therefore, we tailor your training and development to help you to achieve your own personal goals. You’ll undertake a supervised programme of in-company training and college teaching.
You will study towards a Bachelor’s degree in either Building Services Engineering, Civil Engineering, Project Management, Quantity Surveying or Rail Engineering at a University or education provider over a 5-6 year period on a block or day release basis or through workplace learning.
A typical week would include:
There’s no such thing as a typical day at WSP. Your role will be varied and your learning will be fast paced. One day can be completely different to the next. You will have the opportunity to learn new skills using specialist software suited to the area of the business you are working in. You may be involved with taking concepts and ideas from architects or engineers and creating software drawings and designs.
Where practical, you’ll get the opportunity to visit site and see the projects you’ve been working on, coming to life. Your tasks could also include:
- Supporting discipline leads in summarising project requirements
- Processing information and producing data sheets
- Helping to identify opportunities for introducing digital technologies and producing presentations or reports to outline benefits
- Data collection and analysis
- Producing reports for our clients
We would love to hear from you:
- You’ll be in your final year or have completed either your A Levels (or equivalent qualification type) with grades BBC or above. To study Engineering subjects you will need a grade C minimum in Maths or Further Maths with a Physical Science. If you have studied a Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma you will need grades DDM or above in a related subject (if engineering the qualification should have a further maths component).
- You’ll have five GCSEs (or equivalent qualification type) at grade C / Level 5 or above which must include English, Maths and Science (with a least a grade B / Level 6 in Maths for engineering subjects).
- You'll be enthusiastic and have the creativity to think outside the box
- You’ll help to stretch and inspire us, communicating any new ideas you have and keeping everyone in the loop
- You’ll enjoy working in a team environment, sharing ideas and collaborating with colleagues
What if we can?
Across our offices in the UK, we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximises the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring contribute to both our culture and the way we innovate when delivering our projects. We have a number of colleague networks, that everyone is invited to join, including our LGBTQ+ group (VIBE), CREED (Championing Racial Equality and Ethnic Diversity) as well as WSP Connect (visible and non-visible disabilities) and our Gender Balance Group. All groups work with the business to ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable all employees to reach their full potential and to ensure we create a culture of Belonging@WSP .
Here at WSP we positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy or maternity/paternity. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria, providing there is a relevant opportunity on our 2022 Apprentice and Undergraduate Development Programme that matches the discipline and location preferences provided at application.
We also offer our Professional Growth Network (PGN) which is a networking group run by early career professionals for early career professionals. It helps to grow your network of contacts across the UK business as well as providing you with opportunities for extra experience to support you in achieving chartered status or other professional accreditation.
Finally, we have a comprehensive wider benefits package which includes:
• 2 paid days a year to be used for volunteering activities
• Cheaper gym memberships and Tastecards
• Discounts and offers with a variety of high street retailers through our Treats programme • A standard 25 day annual leave allowance plus Bank Holidays and the flexibility to buy and sell annual leave
• The Cycle to Work Scheme (which entitles you to a tax free bike)
• Professional Development Bonus to recognise attainment of professional statuses
• The option to purchase additional benefits such as dental care, personal accident cover, holiday or life insurance at reduced rates
• Reduced rates on gadget insurance
• Employee Assistance Programme – EAP offers you free access to specialist advice in areas such as legal, financial, personal and family matters including bereavement and counselling services.
How long does the process take?
You'll receive an email acknowledging receipt of your application within 48 hours of applying. Please note game based assessment results for apprentice roles at WSP are valid for a period of 12 months. If you have completed an assessment in the past 12 months and were unsuccessful we are unable to consider your application for this role.
We work hard to match you to the most suitable apprenticeship, taking into account your preferences in our business. Our recruitment process can vary depending on the team you are matched to but the majority of applications are progressed to interview or assessment centre within 2-3 months. It might be helpful to know that the whole process can last up to 8 months in total. We will aim to keep you informed throughout the time that your application is being considered.
For more information about this vacancy please contact GetMyFirstJob Recruitment on 02393876405 (Ref ID: 164229)