- GMFJ Reference
37.50 per week
- Date Posted
- Start Date
Now Taking Applications
Public Services & Emergency Services
- Opportunity Type
Intermediate Level 2
RAF LOGISTICS DRIVER:
National level 2 apprenticeship. Please note, course duration is in line with training information on our website but is usually a duration of 12 months with no set hours. During the first 6 months you will receive £16,800+ p/a and benefits. After this, pay until phase two completion is £21,400+ and benefits. You will receive incremental salary increases after training.
- Be aged 17 – 47 years old (Must attest before 48th birthday)
- Be a citizen of the United Kingdom or the Republic of Ireland, holder of dual UK/other nationality or have been a Commonwealth citizen since birth
- To meet RAF residency requirements, you should have been a UK Resident for a minimum of five years immediately preceding application, and have spent no more than 28 days per year outside the UK within those five years. UK residents of less than five years, or those who have spent more than 28 days per year outside the UK will require more eligibility checks.
- Commit to minimum 3 years post Phase Two Training
- Have a provisional UK DVLA driving licence with no penalty points or driving bans - See full details below
- Meet the fitness and health criteria
- Pass the Defence Aptitude Assessment
- Pass a Fitness test - Details at bottom
Most employers obsess over qualifications and ignore qualities, put experience above potential and have a very narrow range of jobs options on offer. A career in the RAF is about discovering your natural talent and working out together what makes you valuable, productive and happy. From the chefs to the jet pilots they send out on full stomachs, the RAF is full of ordinary folks, just like you, who came to us, often with nothing more than a desire to lead a less ordinary existence.
Logistics Drivers are required to drive and operate a wide range of general and specialist vehicles, from Passenger Carrying Vehicles (PCV, which include cars, minibuses and coaches), to both rigid and articulated Large Goods Vehicles (LGV) and mobile cranes; you will also refuel aircraft using tankers, clear runways using specialist de-icing vehicles and move specialist freight with complex trailers. It will be your responsibility to make sure that RAF personnel, equipment and vehicles get to the right place, at the right time to meet Defence's operational output. You will be driving or operating on exercises, operational deployments, on and off airfields throughout the world, both on roads or rough terrain.
You will drive an array of different passengers (including VIPs), LGVs containing equipment, which will include hazardous materials using the Carriage of Dangerous Goods by Road (ADR) qualification you gained during your Initial Trade Training. Within your first few years, you will probably be detached overseas from a few days, up to several months. As a specialist and professional vocational driver, you will be expected to maintain the highest standards of dress, deportment and driving technique. You must work as part of a team, whilst having the capability and confidence to work and make decisions independently. Full training and support is available to the Logistics (Driver) throughout their career.
- Drive a range of vehicles throughout the UK, Europe and on worldwide operational deployment or field exercises, both on roads and over rough terrain
- Train and operate specialist vehicles supporting the RAF’s airfields in the UK and deployed worldwide
- Transport personnel and goods (incl. hazardous materials) between units using Large Goods Vehicles, coaches and Troop Carrying Vehicles
Click the 'Complete Application' button to be taken through to the application page for more information on our eligibility requirements, benefits, and salaries.
For more information about this vacancy please contact GetMyFirstJob Recruitment on firstname.lastname@example.org (Ref ID: 221381)
Company website : https://recruitment.raf.mod.uk/
ALL APPLICANTS MUST:
- Be a UK national or UK/other dual nationality.
- Be aged between 17 and 47 years old (Must attest before 48th birthday).
*Until at least you have completed one year of service and successfully completed Professional Workplace Assessments on first posting.
Your career will start with a 10-week Basic Recruit Training Course at RAF Halton in Buckinghamshire. The course is designed to help you adjust to a military environment. As well as fitness and military training, you’ll also learn about the RAF lifestyle.
Your next step will be the specialist driving course at the Defence School of Transport at Leconfield in East Yorkshire, which takes up to four months. During this course you will be trained to pass driving tests in Categories B, C, C+E and D; you will also learn additional military driving skills such as Vehicle Loading and Restraint, Off Road Driving, Skid Avoidance and Recovery Techniques as well as the procedures and regulations for carrying dangerous goods by road (ADR).
At the end of the course, you will have passed your driving tests (if you haven’t already done so before you join) and earned the SQA ADR Driver Training Certificate for Carrying Dangerous Goods by Road (ADR). You will also be well on the way to achieving an Intermediate Apprenticeship (L2) in Driving Goods Vehicles.