- GMFJ Reference
37.50 per week
- Date Posted
- Start Date
- Approx. Duration
Now Taking Applications
- Opportunity Type
Advanced Level 3
Please note: Job listing will show as a different title on Workday, but this is the correct role.
Technical Authors are the specialists who generate written instructions on how to perform all kinds of technical tasks in a safe, controlled way. It’s a skill that is in demand across a wide range of industries ranging from car assembly, aircraft maintenance to telecommunications. At AWE the role of Technical Author involves producing documentation that explains how to safely build, support and service the UK’s nuclear deterrent.
As an apprentice you will initially be based within the Skills Academy you will develop a basic knowledge of C&I and learn the associated skills. You will further your knowledge through academic studies on day release at college. Thereafter you will progress to the manufacturing aspect of your training where you will start to apply these core skills in a live working environment. This will include servicing, repairing and installing various systems to support their facilities: temperature control, flow and pressure measurement, display gauges and recorders. Once you have completed three years studying C&I and become a qualified maintenance engineer you will start to build your skills as a Technical Author.
Your first out-turn year will be spent learning Desktop Publishing, Technical Authorship and applying your C&I knowledge to written work instructions. You will go on placements around the business learning communications techniques and gain a Diploma in Technical Authorship as you work towards a career in Technical Publications.
Technical Authoring may appeal to you if you enjoy:
- Understanding how systems/machinery/assemblies work
- Observing and writing
- Problem solving activities
- Computer related activities
- Applying engineering principles into real life scenarios
The next wave of role closures will occur on 28th January or until the role is filled, apply now for the best chance of success.
For more information about this vacancy please contact GetMyFirstJob Recruitment on email@example.com (Ref ID: 239457)
Company website : https://www.awe.co.uk/careers/early-careers/apprenticeships/
- A practical aptitude for engineering or technology
- PC literate
- Great communication skills both written and in person
- Good command of grammar and vocabulary
- Excellent team working skills
- Health and safety aware
- Effective at following instructions
- Ability to concentrate for long periods
- A passion and motivation for this profession
- Two A Levels at grade C/4 or above. One subject in English or Mathematics (or equivalent)
- 5 GCSE’s level 4/C or above
At the end of your apprenticeship and first year in the workplace you will be able to:
- Understand the technology
- Collaborate with subject matter experts to clarify technical issues
- Gather and understand the information needs of the user
- Organise and articulate information in a clear and concise written instruction for issue to users undertaking technical tasks
Applicants must be aged 16 or over, as of 31st August 2024 due to security clearance requirements
AWE recruit on a rolling basis which means as soon as positions have been filled, the scheme will close to new applications. So, please apply as soon as possible to avoid missing out!
AWE's ambition is to create workplaces where they recognise and celebrate differences, encourage diverse contributions and employees feel able to be themselves at work. They strive to create a genuine culture of openness and inclusion and encourage diverse applicants.
Any inclusion information you provide will be used to encourage and support you through the application process and will be held only for this purpose in accordance with GDPR.