- GMFJ Reference
37.50 per week
- Date Posted
- Start Date
- Approx. Duration
Now Taking Applications
- Opportunity Type
Higher Level 5
As a Materials and Analytical Science Laboratory Technician Apprentice, you will spend the first few weeks of your apprenticeship within the Skills Academy; before joining the Materials and Analytical Sciences team based in our laboratories across the AWE Aldermaston site. The Materials and Analytical Sciences function are responsible for the research, testing and analysis of a number of different materials ranging from warhead components to environmental samples. This work is vital in assuring our mission to deliver the warhead is accomplished whilst keeping our people and environment safe.
During the time in placements you will undertake and complete various laboratory-based tasks which will enable you to develop a complete set of skills and knowledge required to work successfully at AWE.
In addition, you will also be given the opportunity for personal development through activities such as team building challenges, organisational awareness presentations, health and safety workshops and charity projects.
A part of this role will require wearing Health and Safety equipment such as a respirator. Therefore, successful candidates will need to undergo a medical assessment for suitability for the position within the required parameters for the health and safety equipment’s requirements.
What AWE offer:
- A starting salary of £20,000
- A market leading contributory pension scheme
- A generous holiday entitlement and excellent work/life balance including a 9-day working fortnight.
- Access to employee discounts portal, everyday savings on retail, hospitality and leisure.
- Alongside these benefits you will get the opportunity to learn from some of the top leaders in their field whilst helping us to continue to deliver national nuclear security, threat reduction and counter-terrorism solutions.
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role. Please note that you must be a British National to apply for a role.
The next wave of role closures will occur on 28th January or until the role is filled, apply now for the best chance of success.
For more information about this vacancy please contact GetMyFirstJob Recruitment on firstname.lastname@example.org (Ref ID: 239778)
Company website : https://www.awe.co.uk/careers/early-careers/apprenticeships/
- Excellent team working skills
- Good communication skills
- Awareness of health and safety
- The ability to follow instructions
- The ability to concentrate for long periods
- A real passion for this type of work
- 5 GCSE’s at grade 4/C or above to include Maths and English and BTEC Level 3 Science (or equivalent)
- Must be age 18 or above as of 31st August 2024 due to security clearance requirements
During your apprenticeship journey, you will learn the following skills:
- Laboratory safety
- Handling of hazardous substances- awareness of radioactive and explosive materials
- Quality and its application in a laboratory environment
- Customer service skills
- Use of laboratory equipment
- Preparation of substances
- Sample preparation
- Analysis of samples
- Data handling
- Checking and reporting of results
All successful candidates will join on 12th August 2024. It is important that you are available that week and the week commencing 19th August so you can meet the rest of the Apprentice cohort and take part in the induction programme. There is another compulsory training week from 11th September, so you'll be asked not to request annual leave that week either.
AWE's ambition is to create workplaces where they recognise and celebrate differences, encourage diverse contributions and employees feel able to be themselves at work. AWE strive to create a genuine culture of openness and inclusion and encourage diverse applicants.
Any inclusion information you provide will be used to encourage and support you through the application process and will be held only for this purpose in accordance with GDPR.