24 Months – Level 4 Apprenticeship
36 Months – Level 7 Apprenticeship (following successful completion of level 4 apprenticeship)
Leeds CrossgatesAbout the Role
Joining a Higher Apprentice Programme at National Grid gives you the opportunity to be responsible for the successful planning and delivery of project work, with real responsibility from day one. As a Higher Apprentice you’ll be looking after the Project Management Office (PMO) with our Planning, Estimating, Risk and Reporting colleagues you’ll gain experience in all aspects of estimating, risk and cost management including:
• Participating in scheme teams, preparing budget estimates for future construction projects through their development from business case to contract award.
• Supporting Project Managers and their teams during project delivery.
• Maintaining the Cost Book we use to estimate the process of our work to reflect market trends by analysing tender submissions and outturn prices on completed projects.
• Helping to run risk workshops and scanning project risk registers to identify and flag broader risk trends that might impact our portfolio.
• Understanding how projects interact with each other and the operational constraints of a live system with National Grid’s outage plan.
• The opportunity to be involved in project planning and programme management of live projects.
By achieving all of this you’ll be making sure we hit the Network Output Measures plan; the projects that protect the asset health ratings which drive a large part of National Grid’s revenue. What you'll get
Our Higher Apprentice Programmes are your first step into a career in the energy industry. You’ll gain an insight into how we work at National Grid, and understanding of what a career with us can offer, and receive some great rewards and benefits:
• Starting salary of £28,332 rising to £30,810 following year 1 and £31,950 in year 2 on successful completion of targeted steps.
• 25 days holiday
• Full-board and accommodation whilst at our academy
• Pensions and share-option scheme
• London-weighting allowance where applicable
• Invitation to join NewNet, our new starters network and one of our employee resource groups • Flexible Benefits & Working
• Close mentorship and regular feedback
• Volunteering opportunities About you
National Grid are committed to the personal development of our staff. Joining us, you’ll be supported as you develop a wide range of leadership, business and technical skills through structured training and on the-job experience. And you’ll work closely with your line manager to establish and navigate through a Personal Development Plan that is tailored to your needs.
If you’re keen to earn while you learn, our Project Processes Higher Apprenticeship Programme is a great opportunity to gain a level 4 Diploma in Project Management which has been accredited by the APM (Association of Project Management) with the potential to lead to a degree. Or, if you already have a degree, it’s an ideal way to specialise in a vital, demanding and growing area.
Thanks to the mix of formal study and practical experience at our offices in Warwick, you’ll develop well-rounded skills. Upon successful completion of the programme, you can look forward to a permanent job within the Construction team. What you'll need
As one of our Higher Apprentices, we’ll help you develop your skills through a combination of practical work and academic study, all the while providing you with the passion, skills and knowledge you need to power all our futures.
You don’t need prior work experience; the determination and will to succeed is far more important as we will teach you everything you need to know. The role will provide you with a variety of skills including transferrable skills to support your career development within National Grid.
You will also need to hold a valid full UK car driving licence or be willing to learn to drive and agree to secure a valid full UK car driving licence within 3 months prior joining the programme or as soon as possible after your 17th birthday.
You will need to have a GCSE in English Language AND in Math at Grade C or above (or equivalent) with one of the following:
2 A levels / A2: Grades A* - C (1 must be in either Math, Physics, Chemistry or Computing)
BTEC National Certificate OR Diploma Level 3 in Electrical, Mechanical, Civil Engineering, Quantity Surveying, Computing or Business Skills at Grade Merit or Distinction
HNC/HND in Electrical, Mechanical, Civil Engineering, Quantity Surveying or Computing at Grade Pass, Merit or Distinction About National Grid
National Grid is at the heart of the energy future, and our people are at the heart of National Grid. We’re 30,000 colleagues strong. In the UK, National Grid don’t generate or sell energy – we join the dots to get energy from A to B. From making a cup of tea in the morning, to keeping the lights on in hospitals, our electricity network puts power in the hands of people. Without it, the world as we know it would grind to a halt.
The world of energy is changing beyond recognition as we focus on building a cleaner, greener future. Working at National Grid, you won’t just be touching the lives of almost everyone in the UK – you’ll be shaping the way we use and consume energy for generations to come.
Please update the Qualifications prior to publishing your requisition.Our Values and Principles
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are at the heart of who we are and what we do. Our commitment to these values is unwavering and they are central to our mission. We encourage applications from all backgrounds, communities and industries and we are happy to discuss any reasonable adjustments that you require. Further Information
We will be closing this role in March 2024; however, we encourage you to apply as early as possible to ensure you obtain the place you want in the application process.??
Assessment centres will be held from January – April 2024.?
#ApprenticeshipOpportunities2024APPLY FOR THIS JOB NOW