We're a full-service law firm, which means whatever advice is needed we can help. Giving the best possible advice is about more than knowledge and expertise. We seek to understand the people and business we work with as deeply as possible and take time to listen to what matters most to them.
Whichever team you join, working here you’ll feel a part of our friendly and inclusive environment. We’ll value you for who you are and what you bring. We support each other and push boundaries to achieve incredible things and make a real difference to our clients and communities.
An exciting opportunity to join one of the largest national law firms in the UK. You will be supporting the Serious Injury Team within Irwin Mitchell. The successful candidate will be based in Sheffield and will be operating in a busy large team covering personal injury work.
Paralegals support solicitors in preparing cases for trial and progressing transactions. This involves creating and organising case files, as well as contacting clients and performing legal research. This programme offers a great grounding for a career in law.
- This is a superb opportunity for you to work within our Serious Injury Team, gaining an overview as to the relevant law and the types of claims, supporting our clients and developing your skills and expertise within a supportive team
- The work will involve assisting fee earners in advising clients from inception to the final hearing including, interacting with clients, Counsel and other parties in writing and by telephone
- You will also be tasked with obtaining documentation to support claims, conducting research, drafting pleadings, preparing disclosure, bundles, witness statements and instructing Counsel to conduct hearings
- Your role will also involve juggling competing demands on time and ensuring deadlines are met in a fast paced, high energy environment
- Achieve time recording and fee income targets to ensure profitable working
- Ensuring compliance with the firm’s policies and procedures
- Attending appropriate training events as and when required
- Establishing a small supervised caseload for those clients deemed suitable to aid
Who is it for?
This is a 24-month apprenticeship perfect for anyone who wants to gain hands-on legal experience at the UK’s largest full-service law firm.
This apprenticeship is a great alternative to university, as it gives you the chance to earn while you learn. It also helps you to work towards the Level 3 paralegal apprenticeship, helping to develop your career from day one.
What will I study?
The academic part of the apprenticeship is delivered by our apprenticeship training provider BPP via distance learning. The modules you study will link to the client service area in which you undertake your apprenticeship.
View more information on what you’ll study and the work you’ll do as part of your apprenticeship on the BPP website here Paralegal Apprenticeship | Courses | BPP.
What qualification will I gain?
When you finish this apprenticeship, you will be a qualified paralegal in your area of practice and you will also gain a Certificate of Higher Education (Law and Legal Practice).
What We Can Offer You
Our apprentices receive a full benefits package including:
•25 days holiday with the opportunity to buy additional leave
•2 volunteering days a year to give back to the community (fully paid!)
•Westfield Health membership, offering discounted leisure and travel and refunds on medical services
•Contributory pension scheme
•Access to a variety of training and development resources
We also offer a huge number of well-being initiatives to encourage positive mental health both in and out of the workplace as well as flexible working options to ensure that you are fully supported to work the way that best suits you. We’re committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace where our colleagues can flourish. We have a range of groups to celebrate our people across sexuality, disability, age, gender and culture.