Relocating to the UK for work can be an exciting opportunity, but understanding your right to work and visa requirements can be confusing. This guide will help make the process of moving easier by covering the types of visas you can apply for and how to submit your application.

Right to Work in the UK

Your right to work in the UK depends on your nationality and immigration status. Here's a basic overview:


UK and Irish Citizens: If you're a citizen of the UK or Ireland, you automatically have the right to work in the UK. You don't need any additional permits or visas to make the first step in looking for a role on GetMyFirstJob.

EU, EEA, and Swiss Citizens: Following Brexit, EU, EEA, and Swiss citizens need a visa to work in the UK unless they have settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme.

Non-EU Citizens: If you are from outside the EU, EEA, or Switzerland, you'll need a visa to live and work in the UK.

Types of Work Visas

There are several types of work visas available, depending on your job, skills, and circumstances. Here are the main categories:


Skilled Worker Visa: For those with a job offer from a UK employer with a sponsorship license. You must have a job at the required skill level and be paid a minimum salary.


Global Talent Visa: This Visa pathway allows highly skilled individuals to come to the UK without the need for a job offer, if they are endorsed by a recognised UK organisation that acknowledges their leadership or potential leadership in their area of expertise. This is usually given to leaders in academia, research, arts, and technology.


Start-up and Innovator Visas: This is self-explanatory and is given to those looking to set up a business in the UK. To be eligible, you need an endorsement from an approved UK body, such as an investor, business accelerator, or government agency.


Temporary Worker Visas: This pathway is perfect for those on the lookout for short term work in sectors such as charity, religious work, and seasonal work. These Visa’s usually last for a limited time that is generally under a year.

Health and Care Worker Visa: For medical professionals with a job offer in eligible health or social care roles. You need to meet specific skill and salary criteria to be approved for this Visa.

Applying for a Visa

Here's a simplified step-by-step process for applying for a UK work visa:

  • Head to the GOV.UK website to confirm you meet the requirements for the specific visa type that you’re applying for.
  • Check if your job is on the eligible occupation list.
  • Make sure you have a valid passport or travel document.
  • Have proof of job offer and sponsorship.
  • Gather proof that you can speak the English language.
  • Financial evidence (e.g., bank statements) to show you can support yourself.

Submitting your application


Approved Resources for Moving to the UK:

Moving to a new country involves more than just getting a visa. Here are some useful resources to help with your relocation:

UKCISA: The UK Council for International Student Affairs helps international students with advice on studying and working in the UK.

Citizens Advice: Offers guidance on housing, employment rights, healthcare, and more.

GOV.UK: The official government website provides detailed information on visas, immigration rules, and living in the UK.

top tips Advice & Tips Job Search Advice