Museum curator apprenticeships - where to start
You can get into this job through
a university coursean apprenticeshipworking towards this role
You'll usually need a degree and a postgraduate or professional qualification relevant to your area of interest to become a curator. Subjects include:
Paid or unpaid work experience in a museum, gallery or heritage property is usually essential to apply for courses and jobs. You'll usually need 2 to 3 A-levels, or equivalent, for a degree. You'll need a degree in any subject for a postgraduate course.
- museum or heritage studies
- archaeology or ancient history
- natural sciences
You may be able to start by doing a Level 3 apprenticeship in heritage and cultural operations.
This could lead into museum assistant jobs. With further training and several years' experience, you could apply for curator roles. You'll usually need 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, including English and maths.
You could work as an assistant curator, conservator or education manager before becoming a museum curator.
Museum curator apprenticeships - what it takes
Skills and knowledge
- an interest and knowledge of history
- knowledge of English language
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- knowledge of the fine arts
- knowledge of teaching and the ability to design courses
- to be flexible and open to change
- the ability to use your initiative
- the ability to work well with others
- to be able to carry out basic tasks on a computer or hand-held device
Museum curator apprenticeships - what you'll do
In your day-to-day duties you may:
- select, buy or borrow items
- organise records, catalogues and indexes
- make sure exhibits are stored under the right conditions
- arrange conservation and restoration
- help visitors to interpret and enjoy exhibits and collections
- organise publicity and fundraising
You could work in a museum.
You may need to wear a uniform.
Career path and progression - Museum curator apprenticeships
With experience you could progress to senior curator.