Headteacher apprenticeships - where to start
You can get into this job through
working towards this role
You can become a headteacher after working as a teacher in a school. You'll also need several years' experience as a senior manager or deputy head.
You can take professional development training to help with this. For example, the National Professional Qualification for Senior Leadership and the National Professional Qualification for Headship.
You'll usually need qualified teacher status (QTS) to teach in a state school in England.
Headteacher apprenticeships - what it takes
Skills and knowledge
- knowledge of teaching and the ability to design courses
- knowledge of English language
- leadership skills
- business management skills
- the ability to work well with others
- to be flexible and open to change
- the ability to accept criticism and work well under pressure
- customer service skills
- to be able to use a computer and the main software packages competently
Restrictions and Requirements
You'll need to pass enhanced background checks
Headteacher apprenticeships - what you'll do
- set the school’s values and strategic direction and communicate these to pupils, staff, parents, governors and the community
- create and maintain a healthy and safe space for learning
- decide staff priorities and delegate tasks
- set high expectations of achievement for staff and pupils
- keep to rules on equal opportunities
- use data to track performance and produce reports
- inform parents and pupils about progress
- select, support, assess and develop staff
- lead and attend meetings
- control school finances
- work with external advisers and school governors
- work and attend meetings outside of usual working hours
You could work at a school.
Career path and progression - Headteacher apprenticeships
Due to the variety of schools in the UK, there are opportunities to move between different types and sizes of school.
You could also train to be an Ofsted inspector, an education adviser, or become a teacher training lecturer in a college or university.