Yoga teacher apprenticeships - where to start
You can get into this job through
a college coursespecialist courses run by private training organisations
You can do a yoga teaching qualification like:
- Level 3 Certificate in Teaching Yoga to Children Aged 5 to 16
- Level 3 Diploma in Teaching Yoga
- Level 4 Diploma in Teaching Yoga
- It may be useful if you have a background in teaching exercise.
Entry requirements for these courses vary.
You can train as a teacher by doing yoga courses with a specialist training provider.
You can also get a teaching award from The British Wheel of Yoga, the national governing body for yoga in the UK. You'll usually need 2 years' experience of practising yoga with a qualified teacher to teach it yourself.
Professional and industry bodies
You can join organisations like the The British Wheel of Yoga, Yoga Alliance Professionals or Iyengar Yoga UK for professional development and to make contacts with other teachers.
Yoga teacher apprenticeships - what it takes
Skills and knowledge
- knowledge of teaching and the ability to design courses
- customer service skills
- the ability to work on your own
- leadership skills
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- the ability to come up with new ways of doing things
- patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
- excellent verbal communication skills
- to be able to carry out basic tasks on a computer or hand-held device
Restrictions and Requirements
You'll need to:
- have insurance
- pass enhanced background checks, as you may be working with children and vulnerable adults
Yoga teacher apprenticeships - what you'll do
As part of your day-to-day duties, you could:
- design course and lesson plans for a range of abilities
- teach a wide range of simple and complex yoga positions
- adapt positions for conditions like pregnancy or arthritis
- teach breathing habits
- assess your students
- review your own courses and teaching skills
You could work at a fitness centre or at a health centre.
Career path and progression - Yoga teacher apprenticeships
With experience you could run your own yoga workshops, yoga retreats, or holidays.
You may be able to train as a yoga therapist or take further qualifications to train yoga teachers.