Housing policy officer apprenticeships - where to start
You can get into this job through
a university coursean apprenticeshipworking towards this rolea trainee scheme
You can do a foundation degree or degree in:
- housing studies
- social policy
- town planning
You'll usually need at least 1 A-Level, or equivalent, for a foundation degree. You'll need 2 to 3 A-Levels, or equivalent, for a degree.
You can complete a policy officer higher apprenticeship. You'll usually need 4 or 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C) and A-Levels, or equivalent,.
You can start as an office assistant or housing officer with a housing organisation.
With further training and experience, you could work your way up to become a housing policy officer.
You can apply for a training scheme like the GEM programme. This is open to graduates of any subject and non graduates who are already working in housing.
Housing policy officer apprenticeships - what it takes
Skills and knowledge
- legal knowledge including court procedures and government regulations
- the ability to use your judgement and make decisions
- the ability to work well with others
- analytical thinking skills
- excellent verbal communication skills
- knowledge of systems analysis and development
- persistence and determination
- business management skills
- to be able to use a computer and the main software packages competently
Housing policy officer apprenticeships - what you'll do
In your day-to-day duties you may:
- research housing issues and identify good practice
- collect data relevant to housing, like health, employment and demographics
- represent housing services on corporate working groups
- produce reports, policy briefings and factsheets
- make recommendations as a result of government initiatives and new legislation
- give presentations to groups, both inside and outside your organisation
You could work in an office.
Career path and progression - Housing policy officer apprenticeships
You could specialise in a particular policy area, like equality issues, regeneration or research and data collection.